Design Award winner 2014
Stonesfield, Penmaen – rebuild of chalet
Design Awards 2013
Admirals Wood Vennaway Lane Parkmill. Extension
Owners Robin and Carolyn Kirby
Architect Huw Griffiths and Associates and Builders J. F. Cahill. both of Swansea
This Arts and Craft type house is of unique design to the area and is of obvious quality to anyone who looks at it. It was first constructed for the original architect Percy James Williams who purchased the land in 1925 and presumably built the house shortly after this date. It was next sold in 1935. The present owners bought the property in 1982. The land was known as Admirals Wood pre 1925 and it is thought that it was named after Admiral Heneage Vivian. The Vivians had links to Kilvrough close by.
We singled out the work that has been carried out over the last 2 years or so to make a larger kitchen and add an upstairs room in such a way as to seamlessly blend in with the original 1925 construction. This involved matching the original stonework, leaded light windows and possibly the most challenging job of finding the heavy green slates that came from Cumbria and involved the owners and builders making trips up to the Lake District to visit architectural salvage yards.
We defy anyone to spot the join when viewing from the front of the house.
Lane House Llanrhidian.
Annex to main house.
Owners Richard and Tish Slack.
Architect/builder NAS Architects Reynoldston
This is what we would refer to as old fashioned ‘tin shed’ architecture that was very popular in the early 1900’s. However, Richard Slack was quick to point out that this annex is constructed on a wooden frame in the same way but the material is a modern fibre cement. This highly insulated modern high tech ‘shed’ fits incongruously into the landscape and despite its modern window it looks as if it has been there for ever. We only wish that more people would adopt this type of vernacular construction.
Bethel Independent Church Penclawdd. Refurbished Sunday School Annex.
Pastor Christian Williams
The Church Committee of Bethel Chapel were faced with the difficult decision to abandon the continuous and costly maintenance and running costs of the very large (Grade 2 Listed) original chapel. A shrinking congregation and reduced attendance forced them to look at the possibility of ‘downsizing’ to the 1901 Sunday School at the rear of the main building. Without professional help or advice the Committee has managed to completely update the internals of the original building whilst at the same time preserving the quality of many of the original period features, particularly in respect to the external appearance. Not for them the introduction of uPVC windows and doors but quality joinery carefully matching the 1901 originals that were faithfully copied. A magnificent effort by all involved.
The Coalhouse Restaurant Oxwich.
Conversion of an industrial building into restaurant.
Owners Oxwich Coalhouse LTD.
Architect Davies Sutton Cardiff. Builder Kevin Lloyd Llanrhidian
This large stone structure was originally built in the 19th century to store coal for use on the Penrice Estate. This was delivered by boats that were beached at high water mark on the sands in front of the building and unloaded into carts and then unloaded into the building. It was then reloaded when required into carts that were drawn by horses up to Penrice Castle where it was burnt on the many fire places within the building, including the large kitchen ovens and heating to the greenhouses in the walled gardens. It was also sold to estate workers and members of the public who collected it direct from The Coalhouse or a yard in Home Farm. It is estimated that more than 5 tonnes could be burnt in Penrice Castle in a single week in cold weather.
Two years ago the owners decided to convert the building into a quality restaurant that retained its original industrial looks whilst appealing to potential customers in this prime beach location on Gower. The architects have done a superb job in keeping the character with industrial type wood clad sliding security doors as well as the rolled zinc roof that hints at the corrugated iron that clad it for a great number of years. Traditional construction techniques have been used by award winning local builder Kevin Lloyd who has lived and worked on Gower all of his life and has carried out other work for The Penrice Estate. Kevin was a recipient of a special Design Award for work on Gower three years ago. The restaurant is now a major attraction in Gower.
R.N.L.I. Boathouse Mumbles.
New Boathouse to replace the existing.
Lead Consultant/Engineer. Opus International, FarehamArchitect Alan CulshawAssociates Ltd Southampton
Main Contractor BAM Nuttall Ltd, Camberley
This new boat house was controversial when first proposed not least because of the colony of kittiwakes that established itself about 20 years ago on the old pier adjacent to the new works Its new design also drew criticism from more traditional members of the public who bemoaned the loss of the smaller building that would not accommodate the new larger generation of Lifeboat. Interestingly the frame of the whole structure was delivered as a flat pack and assembled on site as a kit. Other new life boat houses around our coast, such as that at Tenby, have been built to the same design.
The colours of the new structure and actual finishes that were chosen for their low reflectivity have certainly achieved what the architects set out to do. Yes an additional structure is now at the end of the pier but it sits very comfortably alongside the original boathouse that is a listed building and is to remain insitu. Alternative accommodation by way of timber ledges was provided for the kittiwakes which have returned in force from their wintering grounds in the North Atlantic already (in early March 2014). Also additional facilities for the public including the local fishermen have also been provided. Above all the lifeboat crew like their new facility!
Design Award winners 2012
Gower Cottage, Reynoldston – restoration
Fairyhill Hotel, Reynoldston
Betty’s Meadow, Slade – barn conversion
St. Mary’s Church, Pennard – renovation
Kevin Lloyd – for consistent excellence in building work
Hilltop, Oxwich Green – extension
Knelston Chapel & Manse – restoration
Backfield Cottage, Penrice – conversion/restoration
Blackberry Barn, Llangennith – conversion
Woodbine Cottage, Landimore – conversion
Brynau, Mayals – restoration/extension
Pound Cottage, Reynoldston – restoration
Glebe Farm, Cheriton – barn conversion
Elder Barn, Pennard – extension/barn conversion
Forge Cottage, Port Eynon- new build
Mewslade View, barn conversion & confines,
Middleton – restoration
Newhill Farm, Newton – restoration
The Nook, Oxwich – extension
Corner House Farm, Middleton – restoration
The King Arthur Hotel, Reynoldston
Toilet block, Rhossili – restoration
Old Forge, Pilton Green – conversion/restoration
2 Park Hendy Crescent – new build
Llanelen Farm, Welshmoor – barn conversion
Pitt Soggs Cottage, Bysouth, Penrice – conversion
St. David’s View complex, Llandewi – restoration
Mumbles Methodist Church, Mumbles – redevelopment
Three Elms, Middleton – new build
Crwys Farmhouse, Three Crosses – restoration
St. Illtyd’s Church, Ilston – replacement door
Hayes Farmhouse, Reynoldston – restoration
Mewslade Cottage, Middleton – conversion
Parc Lodge, Penmaen – barge board restoration
Tyddan Isa, Perriswood – barn conversion
Clyne Farm – oak verandas
Horton bus shelter – renovation
St Illtyd’s Church, Oxwich – restoration